The following is contact information for a man that generously gave his time to show the Inland Valley Back-to-Basics Meet-up group how to set-up a square foot garden:
Abraham Zamora of abrahamzamora.com, is a certified Square Foot Gardening Instructor.
Square foot gardening is the practice of planning and planting small but intensively planted raised-bed gardens. By using a special mix of compost, and other materials, you can harvest a serious amount of produce from small shallow beds.
Anyone can do square-foot gardening, with any type of soil, but Mel’s mix is considered the no-fail garden soil. When I say anyone, I mean after this is set up even a person bound to a wheelchair can maintain and harvest from it.
This gardening style was popularized by Mel Bartholomew. Our library has these square foot gardening books, and even more books on container gardening:
- Square Foot Gardening by Mel Bartholomew [c1981]
- All New Square Foot Gardening: Grow More In Less Space! by Mel Bartholomew [c2006]
- Fresh Food From Small Spaces: The square-inch gardener’s guide to year-round growing, fermenting, and sprouting by R. J. Ruppenthal [c2008]
- All New Square Foot Gardening Cookbook: Taking The Harvest To The Table by Mel Bartholomew [c2009]
- One magic square: the easy, organic way to grow your own food on a 3-foot square by Lolo Houbein [c2010] – Discusses the importance of local, organic gardening, and provides guidelines for cultivating a variety of herb, fruit, and vegetable gardens on one square yard of land.
- See also my post titled, “Garden In A Bucket.” In that post, I give links to a very easy self-watering system.
The Internet is replete with articles and how-to videos for square foot gardening: Here are just a few:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJ-eGtlAS2k&feature=relmfu – videos – My Square Foot Garden blog
- http://www.mysquarefootgarden.net – My Square Foot Garden blog
- http://www.youtube.com/user/SFGFoundation?ob=0 -videos for Square Foot Gardening Foundation
- http://www.squarefootgardening.org – Square Foot Gardening Foundation
- http://www.squarefootgardening.com – great products for the non-DIYer
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRjXAZqXvXA – Birth of a Square Foot Garden – a very informative slideshow
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEwB23uhBGY&feature=fvwp – June 25, 2009 – Unexpected side effects of Compost Tea – highlights the value of fertilizer