Dan Rojas of Green Solar Science posted yet another amazing solar experiment on May 16, 2013. What Dan solar weld at up to 3800 degrees Fahrenheit with concentrated sunlight at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=drE54ctrHBY.
ABOUT THE FRESNEL LENS
The Fresnel lens was invented by Augustin-Jean Fresnel in 1821 to improve lighthouses. Then some genius made a linear Fresnel for a rear-projection television. Today, Fresnels have a devout following of backyard scientist who dream up things to do with it. If you like this sort of thing, I have good news for you! You can gather a Fresnel lens for FREE! If you want to chat about Fresnels, visit the friendly folks at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SolarCooking. Meanwhile, the following explain where to get a Fresnel for FREE, how to frame it, and precautions you should NEVER, NEVER, NEVER FORGET:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wprlzCDfLm8 – RimstarOrg – Jun 2, 2011 – This story is special to me. I remember when Steve told our Solar Cooking Yahoo group about finding a Fresnel lens on a rear-projection TV.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=p7dvd959wfg&feature=fvwp – fencekid – Aug 11, 2011 – This video offers excellent instructions on how to make a frame and stand for the Fresnel lens.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xExXjXm0YV0 – fencekid – Aug 14, 2011 – 6:02 minutes – A Spot or Linear Fresnel Lens can be found in a rear-projection TV. Either lens can cook food, but a spot lens can be used for solar welding because it reaches higher temperatures.
- http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/topic/219805/Augustin-Jean-Fresnel – History of the Fresnel
- http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=172219 – May 30, 2007 – Here a mom without a science background can find answers to the many burning questions my son has. My son was age 10 when I began teaching him solar cooking. Physics Forums is my happy place!
- http://bclee.net/lens.html – 1995-2003 – Random Destructive Acts via Focused Solar Radiation – This article has inspired my son many times over. It is also the reason we have been living vicariously through the many trials and innovations of the Fresnel pioneers before allowing my child to play with such power!
SINTERING WITH A FRESNEL LENS
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptUj8JRAYu8 – aleeeno – Jun 27, 2011 – 6:07 minutes – Solar Sintering Project by Markus Kayser
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&v=J80m8B6fmsE&feature=endscreen – artsfoundation – Feb 7, 2012 – 1:56 minutes – Winner of the Product Design Fellowship 2012 Markus Kayser speaks about receiving the £10,000 prize at the Arts Foundation Awards 2012.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZTsWEfnqtg – TEDxTalks – Sep 25, 2012 – 10:39 minutes – “Markus Kayser talks about ‘desert manufacturing’ : a combination of solar power and 3D printing to create objects made entirely out of sand. As a product designer, he has created a variety of beautiful objects only using the sun and sand.”
COOKING WITH A FRESNEL LENS
I am compiling these in chronological order so I can track the knowledge acquired through the trial and error of these solar pioneers.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMcGzUY6qa8 – spham67 – Sept 15, 2007 – 1:57 minutes – Cooking wood – Of course my son loves this video best!
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uD2GmrT7pLQ – GREENPOWERSCIENCE – Apr 21, 2008 – 8:22 minutes – Denise and Dennis cooking popcorn
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MhZrZ7Naw_c – GREENPOWERSCIENCE – Apr 24, 2008 – 7:21 minutes – Denise frying an egg.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=45NgOfr2k1k – GREENPOWERSCIENCE – Apr 25, 2008 – 1:39 minutes – Denise frying an egg.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncswYjG93To – GREENPOWERSCIENCE – May 4, 2008 – 6:10 minutes – Cooking pasta and sauce
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7RMdvMvsjdI – fencekid – Aug 25, 2008 – 6:06 minutes – Pot Roast baking at 325 F.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyV2QcbsPJQ&feature=fvwp&NR=1 – fencekid – Sep 9, 2008 – Frying hash browns
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ilQPR26hlY – GREENPOWERSCIENCE – Mar 31, 2010 – 1:36 minutes – Denise making fry bread.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJ1qk3HuRiA – finalcutproguy – Dec 8, 2010 – 5:21 minutes – distilling salt water
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHWnxVT_mmQ – #33 Fresnel Lens Cooking September 2010 – hhoball – Mar 28, 2011 – Fresnel and parabolic cooking side-by-side
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg4IKB3Es-A&list=PLFsZmHTZL-zkhoD5kHLjv_ynTvT-Sdd30&index=8 – RimstarOrg – Jun 10, 2011 – 3:59 minutes – Fried an egg for lunch
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWDkCnpLRPA&list=PLFsZmHTZL-zkhoD5kHLjv_ynTvT-Sdd30&index=9 – RimstarOrg – Jul 14, 2011 – 8:45 minutes – sunlight reflected off a mirror onto a cast iron skillet
Check back. I will continue to add links to this post. My son can’t wait to set fires and I want to make sintered sand/glass bricks for a garden wall.
* * *
Update May 28, 2013 – I just submitted this post to Frugally Sustainability per their request for “Basically, anything that you think will build and encourage our community.” My whole blog fits that criteria. I you appreciate the bloggers that take the time to offer solutions to our world’s problems, please visit http://frugallysustainable.com/2013/05/frugal-days-sustainable-ways-74.