My son and I are fascinated with treadle sewing machines. Did you know that treadle sewing machines from a hundred years ago can work today? Yep, it’s true and of course there is a group of dedicated treadlers. You can find them at http://www.treadleon.net.
One reason treadles went out of favor was because newer sewing machines offered more stitches. In response to the Amish community, Janome created the Janome 712T Treadle Powered Sewing Machine in 2004. It has 10 stitches and received great reviews.
Check out the world of treadling here:
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1urrVa4XCn8 – a tour of the Janome 712T Treadle Powered Sewing Machine – The comments are useful.
- http://www.amazon.com/712T-Treadle-Powered-Sewing-Machine/dp/B001HK9KT4 – The reviewer comments are useful.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dax5tDB53jA – How You can make a Treadle Sewing Machine belt.mp4 – augustusd1 – Jun 17, 2011
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d8IUBJry6Ro – How to Treadle – 1913 Serata treadle – Lizzie Lenard – Apr 26, 2012
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyjuWt_GgZs – Treadle Sewing Machines Book Trailer – TreadleLady – Jun 18, 2010
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6floSCAD_lg – Treadle Sewing Machines Are Like Classic Cars – TreadleLady – Jul 1, 2010
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evpESTqRVik – Franklin Treadle Sewing Machine – Missy Shay – Jan 22, 2012