This is were I organize links related to my other reason for this blog’s existence. In this section, I hope to bring awareness to groups and businesses that are promoting a healthy San Jacinto Valley. I emphasize emergency prep groups because I believe responsible people should have knowledge of how to be self-reliant in order to care for themselves and their loved ones.
Fortunately, if no disaster were to befall us, the time and money spent on learning to adapt to a self-reliant lifestyle will pay off in lower food bills, more family time, and more peace of mind. It is awesome to be in this state of mind. I highly recommend it.
I grew up with a garden and remember times when we depended on that garden because my father was between jobs. Being a child, I didn’t know how stressed my parents were about finances, all I knew was I was eating more produce and my dad had more time to play with me. Later, they looked back at those times as the good old days. I want to create this same kind buffer zone for my husband and child.
- http://www.wunderground.com/US/CA/East_Hemet.html – weather
- http://hint.fm/wind/index.html – real time wind map
- http://weathercurrents.com/hemet/NewsItemDisplay.do?Id=928 – Keeping Food Safe During an Emergency By USDA –
- True value hardware, 2007 East Florida Avenue, Hemet, CA 92544 (951) 652-4011 – gardening and canning supplies
- http://hemetsurvivalgear.com – Hemet Survival Gear, 910 East Florida Avenue Suite B3, Hemet, CA 92543 (951) 929-3700
- http://www.BePrepared911.com – Be Prepared 911, 26019 Jefferson Ave #A1, Murrieta, CA 92562 951-304-1245
- http://www.meetup.com/Protective-Bunkers-and-Survival-Center/events/91008132 – Protective Bunkers and Survival Center, 279 San Jacinto River Red, Lake Elsinore
- http://preparednesspro.com – If you are unable to buy locally, I hope you support her business. Kellene Bishop does an outstanding job explaining how to be prepared.
LOCAL AND SEMI-LOCAL GROUPS
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeeksInlandEmpire – based in Valle Vista
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/244918389020764 – Fixing Hemet One Step At A Time
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/757749154302023 – Saving San Jacinto
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/413020472091263 – The Mellow Mango Community Co op ~ Murrieta. A food sharing community
- http://www.meetup.com/San-Jacinto-Valley-Preppers – About building a resilient, well-prepared community
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/HemetCrunchies – A place for share resources, recipes and information about natural living.
- https://www.facebook.com/LegalizeBeekeeping – Based in Georgia, but We are dedicated to the legalization of backyard beekeeping in ALL areas. Contact at email@example.com.
- http://www.meetup.com/Protective-Bunkers-and-Survival-Center/events/91008132 – This group was founded by a prepper store in Lake Elsinore. They host how-to meetings.
- http://www.meetup.com/MurrietaPreppers – This group organizes how-to meetings.
- http://www.meetup.com/Desert-Gardeners-Extreme-Gardening-Group/events/168943842 – Desert Gardeners: Edible Gardening Group
- http://www.meetup.com/Mountain-Communities-Group – Mountain Communities of Resilience is based in Anza. They plan a lot of interesting how-to events. If I lived closer to Anza, I would be more involved with this group.
- http://www.citizencorps.gov/cc/showCert.do?id=43857 – City of Hemet CERT
- http://www.cityofhemet.org/index.aspx?nid=294 – Neighborhood Watch
- http://www.cityofhemet.org/archives/43/NW%20Quarterly%20Newsletter%20May%202012.pdf – Community Newsletter
- http://theplight.org/archives/111 – Every day, as citizens of the Hemet-San Jacinto Valley, we encounter situations calling upon us to be the eyes and ears of law enforcement. The Plight is the portal for exchanging information to assist law enforcement agencies and their communities, community assistance, resource documents, watch stories, and networking.
- http://www.cityofhemet.org/index.aspx?NID=303 – Uniting Communities & Preparing the Nation
- http://preparednesspro.com – This is great site for learning all about disaster preparedness.
- HemetWeb.com – photos of Hemet and the San Jacinto Valley.
- http://blogs.sanjac.edu/its/2012/05 – San Jacinto
- http://blogs.sanjac.edu/its/category/announcements –
If you are just starting to prep, I think these resources are good starting points:
- http://modernsurvivalonline.com/guest-post-bugging-out-digitally – about having important papers organized and having two digital copies on USB drives.
- One Second After by William R. Forstchen [c2009] – available at our library in book and audio – This book causes you to think of EVERY aspect of being prepared.
- http://foodstoragemadeeasy.net/2010/11/10/one-second-after-storing-non-food-items-and-medications – This is a discussion group for the above-mentioned book. I really enjoy this blog.
- The survival handbook: essential skills for outdoor adventure / [senior editors, Nicky Munro, Richard Gilbert ; editors, Bob Bridle … [et al.] [c2012] – available at our library – A guide to survival in the outdoors, discussing preparation and gear, different environments, navigation techniques, modes of travel, camping essentials, shelter options, knot tying, water and food, emergency assessment, and first aid.
- https://www.facebook.com/groups/623997204362467 – Plant identification and discussion
- http://www.coalitionofdisasterreadycitizens.com/content.php/121-Emergency-Preparedness-Checklist – Coalition of Disaster Ready Citizens
- http://www.shtfready.com – Survival, Disaster and Emergency Readiness Forum
- http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePatriotNurse – emergency medical
- http://www.healthradio.net/show/you-the-owners-manual –
- http://www.youtube.com/user/LDSPrepper –
- http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/why-what-how-modern-homesteading – modern homesteading
- http://mrssurvival.com – Mrs. Survival
- http://www.survivalblog.com –
- http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles/tate55.html – excellent article, but her book got terrible reviews. – Cooking With Home Storage by Vicki Tate
- http://www.backdoorsurvival.com/advice-for-preppers – food storage
- http://rivlib.net/evanced/lib/eventcalendar.asp?lib=ALL – Riverside Library System has many great back-to-basic how-to resources. Make sure to check out their online library for audio books and digital books
- http://www.hemetpubliclibrary.org – Hemet Public Library
- http://www.preppers.info/Free_Downloads.html#Free_Disk – American Preppers Network
- http://www.outpost-of-freedom.com/library – Outpost of Freedom Library
- http://www.gutenberg.org – Huge selection, mostly NOT how-to books
- http://www.i4at.org/surv – How-to Survival Documents
- http://weblife.org/humanure – The Humanure Handbook by Joseph Jenkins [3rd addition] – A Guide to Composting Human Manure – If we have an extended power outage, then understanding safe disposable of waste is critical for maintaining health. I hope you read the book and this blog, even if you have no intention of doing this: http://humanurehandbook.com
- Also recommend doing a search for “free kindle ebooks” Amazon offers daily deals. I don’t have a direct link because my links for this go dead too often. The simple solution is to do a web search often.
WHAT EVERYONE CAN DO
Did you know that the most important thing you can do to help our town is to pray? Would you please pray for the health and well being of our community? As well as make every effort to be a considerate neighbor, driver and shopper?
Please pray for the health and safety of our children, their parents and teachers. Please pray for honest, strong and efficient local government, law enforcement, local businesses, firefighters and their families… Please pray for people in leadership to make honorable decisions that are in the BEST INTEREST OF OUR TOWN.
Please pray for those that feel hopeless. You know these are tough times. I am praying for all the above and for each member of our town to choose to be gentle in words and deeds even when nerves are frazzled.
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTE-3Fl7wgg – Agenda 21: How Will It Affect You? The – JohnBirchSociety – Apr 30, 2013
- http://www.nextworldtv.com/videos/occupy-earth/occupy-wall-streets-plan-to-erase-your-personal-debt.html –
- http://rollingjubilee.org –
- http://etfdailynews.com/2012/08/02/former-cia-army-general-martial-law-expected-warranted –
- http://www.thevalleychronicle.com/local-news/item/2221-crime-reports-throughout-the-san-jacinto-valley – Crime reports
- http://www.pe.com/local-news/local-news-headlines/20120111-san-jacinto-indian-water-rights-settlement-celebrated.ece – Indian water rights settlement celebrated – 11 January 2012 – One-time adversaries celebrated partnerships and cooperation Wednesday at an event in San Jacinto to mark conclusion of a historic tribal water-rights settlement between the Soboba Band of Luiseño Indians, the U.S. government and local water agencies. With the steps completed to finalize 2008 congressional legislation that sealed the settlement, Soboba Chairman Scott Cozart told the gathering, “We will continue to grow and prosper not only for our own community but for our neighbors as well.
- http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2012-07-22/mumbai/32787981_1_renewable-energy-energy-projects-solar-city – 22 July, 2012 – MUMBAI: The ministry of new and renewable energy has initiated the development of solar cities. The programme has been designed to encourage urban local bodies to prepare a road map to guide their cities in becoming ‘renewable energy cities’ or ‘solar cities’.
- http://www.firstpost.com/fwire/economy-fwire/indian-firms-making-solar-facilities-in-rajasthan-get-us-loans-382876.html – 19 July 2012 – The Export-Import Bank of the United States (Ex-Im Bank) has authorised loans totaling $57.3 million to two Indian firms to finance the export of American solar panels and ancillary services to India. The solar panels, which are manufactured by First Solar Inc. of Tempe, Arizona, will be used in the construction of solar photovoltaic plants in Rajasthan, the Bank announced.
- http://www.greatenergychallengeblog.com/2012/07/16/so-near-and-yet-so-far-what-will-it-take-to-change-the-way-americans-drive – So Near and Yet So Far: What Will It Take to Change the Way Americans Drive?
- http://environment.nationalgeographic.com/environment/energy/great-energy-challenge – The Great Energy Challenge
- http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/energy/2012/07/120712-gordon-murray-energy-efficient-car-design – Formula One Legend Murray Sets Course for Energy-Efficient Car Design
- http://www.ohio.com/news/local-news/stow-court-using-seized-drug-lights-to-grow-vegetables-for-food-bank-1.329809 – August 27, 2012 – Stow court using seized drug lights to grow vegetables for food bank – Wouldn’t it be great to have group homes for trouble youth and our local homeless shelter maintain community gardens?
* * *
“Every time you spend money, you’re casting a vote
for the kind of world you want.”
~ Anne Lappe